This post contains affiliate links and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking through my links.
Everyone knows that Amazon is the pioneer in eBooks with expanding opportunities and that Amazon ked the way in online affiliate marketing. Back in 1996 Amazon was a small online book retailer run from the garage by Jeff Bezos.
Limited marketing budget, Amazon chose to tap into readers’ passion for books to help spread the word. As an alternative to having an initial outlay of money to buy advertising, Amazon paid individuals a commission when they referred to buying consumers to Amazon. The commission was paid after the consumer bought, reducing upfront marketing costs.
When the Amazon Associates Program launched in 1998, there were not many easy reasonable ways for potential internet entrepreneurs to make money online. Amazon’s affiliate platform changed that, and the only challenge was that making any considerable income as an Amazon affiliate required selling a lot of books. Luckily, as Amazon expanded its product line gave affiliate marketers the ability to earn more money.
Just like any other home-based making money business, earning an income with Amazon requires research, work, and marketing. Here is how you can maximize the Amazon Affiliate program.
Pros of being Amazon Affiliate Associate.
- Highly visited site, well-known name that people use and trust every day.
- Free to join
- No traffic thresholds needed to be accepted into the affiliate program.
- Tons of products to choose from and promote.
- Amazon affiliate from has many tools to help you sell specific products or categories of products.
- Good reporting system so you know what product or category is getting clicks along with what is selling.
- Get paid with direct deposit.
- Amazon has very good customer service to its buyers, will help reduce the risk of having your referrals getting mad at you if a problem should arise with a product.
- If the visitor did not buy the product that referred them to Amazon and bought something different you earn that commission.
Cons of being Amazon Affiliate Associate.
- Commission rate is relatively low compared to other affiliate programs 1-10% depends on the items. Bounty programs offer flat rate commissions such as $3 for Prime referrals, $15 for business account sign up, $5 for Audible referrals.
- The cookies only last 24 hours, this means if your referrals do not buy within 24 hours, you will not get credit. However, if your referral adds the product to their cart the cookie will last 90 days, and you receive credit.
- You will not be allowed to send Amazon affiliate links in emails, and this includes blog posts that you send as an email. Everyone knows email is an excellent way to send great offers to your readers, therefore, making this rule disappointing.
- Payout option is only through direct deposit, check or Amazon gift card.
- The minimum payout is $100, which might seem like a lot if just getting started as an affiliate marketer with Amazon.
How You Can Promote Amazon Affiliate Links.
Blogging is probably the most common way affiliates make money with the Amazon Affiliate Associates program. Some bloggers have a typical topic site and use a mixture of affiliate programs and other monetization options. More bloggers have a niche site, zeroing in on exclusive products that the site covers. Either way, making money with Amazon Affiliate Associates on a blog can be done.
- Write content for your blog or website about selecting or buying a product offered on Amazon. Nowadays, people go online to research their buying options. If you are a mom, you can write an article on picking a low-cost vacuum with a link to your chosen top choice or several to your top choices. If you like cooking can link to cooking tools or kitchen appliances. If you are a photographer, can link to video digital camera and equipment.
- Write reviews about products as people want to know about items before they buy making sure their investment is good.
- Write about bestsellers, Amazon has the best sellers list for each category.
- Promote special offers, this will require you to watch for special promotions offered by Amazon.
Social Media Advertising.
You can use social media to share your blog content with your affiliate links or you can directly share your affiliate links from Amazon. Need to give the indication that the link you share on your blog is an affiliate link to not annoy your followers.
With YouTube marketing can provide the same type of content on videos such as reviews, you can provide tutorials, tours or any other visual content that help your visitor buy the product.